Text from above: “You’re better off than I am. We’re watching a band called the Meat Puppets … the name says it all” followed by “I saw the Cold War Kids today and might see Kanye tonight”
When I interviewed Cris Kirkwood just a few hours before the Meat Puppets set at Stubb’s, heÂ jokingly said thatÂ they’ve neverÂ appealed to the audiences of the bands they’ve opened for (last night they were on a bill with Gomez, Andrew Bird, Ben Harper). “That’s one of main consistencies about us, the lack of interest in us and the actual amount of dislike of us. We’re only doing this to make other people feel bad.”Â
I spent most of the day with the Meat Puppets, just sort of hanging out, so it wasn’t as crazy/wild of a day as it was Wednesday. Seriously, MTV or VH1 should give the Kirkwood brothers a reality show. They are fascinating characters!
Other things I saw:
– Great Northern at the Filter party. They seem to have played the same time slot as they did when I saw them two years ago which meant they played directly in the sun and it was miserably hot. I think they may have played an entire set of all new material that’s on their forthcoming album – Remind Me Where theÂ Heart Is -Â and it sounded great. Look for them on tour this spring with The Dears.
– Saw Arlene’s cousin’s band Rumspringa play at the Red-Eyed Fly. Just a two piece – kind of Delta-blues sounding, maybe like The White Stripes but with a hip-hop influence.
– Spent most of the evening at the Undertow Records showcase where I saw Magnolia Summer (good to see them since they rarely tour and I can’t imagine they’ll ever play Columbus), Glossary (wow! maybe the highlight of the night),Â Monahans (ex-Milton Mapes; moving a bit away from the alt.country sound of their previous band) and Via Audio who put out one of my favorite records of 2007. I’m not sure how I felt about Via Audio’s performance. It was a lot different than I expected – they are much more of a really fun, almost disco-party band. It was cool but not at all what I thought it would be.
– The feet are sore. The back is sore. I’m old. Jane’s Addiction played a secret show last night that we could only read about since we didn’t know anybody that could get us in. But, the way I was feeling at 2am, I don’t think I would have gone even if I could of.
– A video recap will have to wait, it’s off to the Aussie BBQ for me right now.